Guidebook providing practical knowledge tips for infrared heating
Practical knowledge tips with regard to heating for private applications and applications in the catering trade.
Infrared radiant heaters
Heat for outdoor areas straight to the point, available at the push of a button
Whether as a targeted heat source for the balcony, in the conservatory or in the spa area: The infrared radiant heaters from Trotec ensure a pleasant and targeted heat distribution in (sheltered) outdoor areas at the push of a button. The infrared radiant heaters supply comfortable infrared heat without a long preheating time and, as opposed to alternative heating solutions with hot air blowers, they are odourless and noiseless.
Infrared heating panels
The innovative indoor heating solution that would also do well in a museum
The infrared heater of the TIH series, usable as a flat heater, is more than a simple heating alternative. Whether in living spaces, in the spa area or in the hobby room; also suitable for wall mounting. The Trotec infrared heating panel creates a multitude of application possibilities and leaves a good impression in every environment. Due to its flat design, the infrared heating panel adapts to the living environment almost inconspicuously, or it can be individualized and thus become the eye-catcher of the room.
At Trotec you'll find the right radiant heater for every application.
1. Enjoying feel-good warmth on the terrace or balcony
Infrared radiation heats without preheating, noiselessly, odourlessly, without condensation and without raising dust. Therefore, it is also particularly recommended for allergy sufferers. Infrared radiant heaters are an excellent choice for distributing warmth on the terrace or balcony on cold days.
- Terrace / balcony
- Catering trade / events
- Holiday home outdoor areas
- Sauna or wellness outdoor areas
- Market stall
2. How infrared heating works
Infrared rays cannot heat up the room air directly but they heat up all objects inside the room, which will then permanently emit the stored thermal energy into the room, similar to a tiled stove.
In contrast to conventional convection heating, this indirect heating method thus warms up objects instead of directly warming up the room air.
You can find a detailed product comparison of all infrared radiant heaters here.
3. Overview of the maximum heating range to be covered by infrared radiant heaters both indoors and outdoors:
heating capacity per m²
|Area that can be covered by an infrared heater
|with 1,200 W||with 1,500 W||with 2,000 W||with 2,500 W||with 3,200 W|
(ceiling height 2.5 m)
|Very good insulation:
approx. 100 W/m²
|approx. 12 m²||approx. 15 m²||approx. 20 m²||approx. 25 m²||approx. 32 m²|
|Poor insulation / old building:
approx. 150 W/m²
|approx. 8 m²||approx. 10 m²||approx. 14 m²||approx. 17 m²||approx. 21 m²|
approx. 150 W/m²
|approx. 8 m²||approx. 10 m²||approx. 14 m²||approx. 17 m²||approx. 21 m²|
approx. 250 W/m²
|approx. 5 m²||approx. 6 m²||approx. 8 m²||approx. 10 m²||approx. 12 m²|
You can proceed as follows to calculate the heating capacity (in watts) required for your room size:
Formula: m² x W/m² = W
room size (m²) x recommended heating capacity per square metre (W/m²) = required heating capacity of the infrared radiator (W)
For a room sized 32 m² with very good insulation quality, we recommend the following heating capacity: 32 m² x 100 W/m² = 3,200 W
4. Online heating capacity calculator
Here you can easily and conveniently calculate yourself which heating capacity you require for your rooms.
5. Installation tips for infrared radiant heaters
6. Quartz radiator, halogen radiant heater, carbon and ultra-low-glare tube
Modern IR radiators from Trotec always ensure the most efficient heating capacity possible. Nevertheless, there are differences in the available heating elements that you should know about:
1) Quartz radiators are fitted with modern quartz elements. The heating rods mounted in front of the reflector are made of quartz and are thus extremely heat-resistant. As soon as the device is switched on, noticeable heat is generated.
2) Halogen radiant heaters guarantee a high and constant heat output or heat radiation even from further distances, as they emit more heat due to the higher temperature of the heating tube. The heat of halogen spotlights whose service life is approx. 5,000 - 8,000 lighting hours is transmitted immediately and efficiently.
3) Carbon tubes are known for their efficient heat generation. Immediately after switch-on, without any warm-up phase and even before the high-quality carbon mesh turns red, a pleasant warmth can be felt. Another characteristic of carbon tubes is their long lifetime, as they achieve an operating time of over 10,000 hours.
4) Ultra-low-glare tubes are ideal for highly efficient radiation with reduced brightness. Thanks to the innovative gold tube, an IR radiator of this type shines in a darker shade of orange. The resulting reduced infrared wavelength enables the output of an enormous heating power. These infrared radiant heaters, too, provide instant heat without waiting time.
7. Which infrared radiant heater is the right one?
The IR-S/IR-SC series: Particularly versatile and energy-efficient
Infrared radiant heaters of the IR-S/IR-SC series are characterized by a high energy efficiency. The energy required for operation is for the most part converted into heat. The heating effect sets in fairly quickly, it is intense and can be used selectively. Pre-heating is therefore not necessary.
The IR series: Radiant heaters with candle-light atmosphere
Radiant heaters of the IR series use the innovative low-glare short-wave technology. This procedure reduces the at times disturbing red light by 80 percent. The result is a cosy atmosphere and the effect of other lighting fixtures is hardly influenced. Very safe thanks to IP65/IP66 type of protection: The devices offer full protection against contact and are protected against the ingress of dust, splash water and water jets from all directions.
The IRD series: Heat generation minus light emission
The devices of the IRD series are so-called infrared radiant heaters. They emit heat but no light. They are ideally suited for use in areas that are sheltered from the wind. Anyone who would like to relax on the balcony or terrace in the evening will welcome infrared radiant heaters for they create an agreeable temperature whilst leaving the ambient lighting and thus the atmosphere undisturbed. Infrared radiant heaters do not require illuminants and therefore also no maintenance.
The IRS/IRS-E series: Mobile and flexible
The infrared radiant heaters of the IRS/IRS-E series are free-standing devices. The particular advantage of a free-standing radiant heater is that it is ready for use very quickly without any preparatory measures for fastening or similar. There is no need for drilling, the use of wall plugs or other time-consuming installation work. Just set it up, switch it on and enjoy the heat!
8. Low-glare − heat with 80 % less light radiation
Along with the heat radiation, infrared heaters also often emit light radiation. The environment is thus bathed in an orange-reddish light, which is perceived as warm and cosy by many people. However, if it is important to you that your sophisticated lighting concept on the terrace or balcony is only slightly affected or not affected at all, then infrared heating sources with reduced light radiation or without any light emission are a good choice.
Low-glare technology for candle-light atmosphere.
With low-glare, the orange-reddish light is no longer that bright, but instead, a cosy candle-light atmosphere is created.
- Romantic candle-light dinners
- Terraces / balconies with their own lighting concept
- Catering trade
- Event locations
Enjoy the soothing warmth in a pleasant candle-light atmosphere with reduced light emission. The weatherproof low-glare radiant heaters can heat outdoor areas for private or commercial purposes with a high level of efficiency and cost-effectiveness. In doing so they hardly influence the existing lighting concept. Low-glare shortwaves produce a larger portion of infrared light in the invisible range. The infrared radiation is further collimated by an innovative coating procedure that reduces the scattering loss. Thanks to this technology Trotec radiant heaters achieve a light reduction of up to 80 % whilst lasting up to 6,000 operating hours.
The heating light tube of low-glare radiant heaters looks just as intensely orange as that of models without low-glare technology. However, the light actually emitted and visible is reduced by 80 %.
9. IP55, IP65 and IP66 type of protection – rain-proof and dust-protected
Infrared radiant heaters are available in many different versions for indoor and outdoor use. An important criterion for device selection is whether or not your radiant heater may be exposed to water or plenty of dust at its site of assembly or installation. If an infrared heating panel is mounted indoors, water or dust protection is not necessary. An infrared radiant heater installed on your terrace should be able to withstand occasional downpours. Heaters used in the workshop, however, should be protected against dust to a certain extent. IP24 and IP34 types of protection are sufficient for covered terraces.
The IP55, IP65 and IP66 types of protection promise that dust cannot enter the housing and that the radiant heater is protected against water jets from all sides. The robust design also permits the installation on open balconies and terraces. Owing to their dust protection these radiant heaters can also be used in rooms or workshops with high dust concentrations.
10. IRD infrared radiant heater – the stylish design solution without any light emission
The high-quality and elegant IRD infrared radiant heaters from Trotec are recommended for architecturally sophisticated outdoor areas. The simple, minimalist aluminium design housing and the black radiation surface of the infrared radiant heaters blend unobtrusively and stylishly into any environment. The existing ambient lighting and the light colour of the illuminants used are not affected.
The skin tones of the people present are not altered and appear completely natural. Such infrared radiant heaters can be mounted to the wall or ceiling and can supply very large areas with heat radiation, especially when several devices are used. Here too, however, you have to pay attention to an appropriate protection against the wind in order to prevent the cooling draught from neutralizing the effect of the heat radiation. A particularly convenient feature is that such infrared radiant heaters are maintenance-free as there are no illuminants to be replaced.
- Catering trade
- Design-oriented terrace areas
- Event locations
- Unaffected candle-light atmosphere
Advantages of IRD infrared radiant heaters:
- High-quality materials are combined with excellent workmanship to produce such an appealing solution for outdoor areas sheltered from the wind
- No disturbing noises or distracting red light
- Universally applicable (suitable for outdoor installation: on terraces, balconies and roofed outdoor areas)
- Considerable cost reduction due to zero maintenance seeing as no illuminant needs to be replaced
- Protected against water jets from all directions as per IP55 type of protection
11. Infrared heating panels for indoor use
Infrared heating panels for indoor use emit pure heat radiation without emitting light. They can be attached to the wall like a picture, thus representing a space-saving and elegant heating solution for any room in different formats.
They can also be freely positioned on feet. However, since they are not weatherproof, they are only suitable for indoor use or use in safely covered and sheltered areas.
Advantages of the infrared heating panels:
- Efficient heating procedure with environmentally friendly IR-C radiation
- Clean warmth – no noise, no odour, no condensate, no oxygen consumption, no unpleasant dust circulation
- Maximum efficiency: 100 % of the electrical energy input is converted into heat output
- Integrated suspension device for mounting on a wall or on assembly supports, feet optionally available
12. Safety: How to switch off the "overcurrent"
"Overcurrent" is electrical current that exceeds the maximum permanently permissible current as a result of body contact, earth faults, short circuits or overloading. In doing so, it endangers the insulation of electrical devices. So before you connect an IR radiator to a circuit, make sure you know its load limit. For example, a power line in the EU usually has a voltage of 230 volts and fuses for 16 amperes. The total load should therefore not exceed 3,680 watts.
However, if you connect the terrace radiant heater together with other larger electrical appliances, there is a risk of a short circuit. If you are planning to use, for example, 2 radiant heaters with 2,000 watts each, such a line is already overloaded. Please consult with your electrician, as he or she can plan enough circuits depending on the number of radiant heaters you want. By the way, infrared terrace heaters have a high power consumption. Therefore, small load peaks in the millisecond range may occur when switching on and cause a fast-blowing fuse to blow. An electrician can also help you in such a case. He or she will install a 'medium time delay' fuse on the circuit breaker that can withstand such short load peaks during switch-on.
What matters with every type of heating is the factor of safety. Electric heating units must operate safely and reliably. Our Trotec radiant heaters meet all legal requirements. Because we want you to be warm and safe on your terrace, we naturally observe all safety regulations and do even more than that: all quality features and labels on our infrared radiant heaters indicate a high safety standard. The radiators were all tested for safety by the German Association for Technical Inspection (TÜV) and certified with the GS tested safety mark. But even if our modern IR radiators more than satisfy all safety aspects – your circuits can only withstand a certain load.
13. Trotec infrared heaters in direct comparison
All infrared radiant heaters in direct comparison:
To find the radiant heater which exactly meets your requirements, please consult the concise overview of all radiant heaters from Trotec, which we're providing to you here so that you can compare them directly to each other.
Models which you do not wish to include in your comparison can be easily dismissed with only one click.
14. All of Trotec's infrared heaters